The nation’s greatest factor of development has been rightly recognised as being hinged on education which results from the effective interactions of the teacher and the teaching profession. The problem of inadequate qualified teachers in the nation’s educational institutions has been much talked about, but little steps has been taken to put it on proper course. We are not unmindful of the fact that there are lot of unqualified graduate teachers already teaching or aspiring to teach. Hence, the establishment of Angel Crown College of Education and subsequent introduction of Professional Diploma in Education (PDE) which has been professionally enriched to meet the teacher needs of the nation’s educational sector.
The overall aim of this PDE programme is to provide professional training and pedagogical skills to serving teachers and those aspiring to teach, but are not graduates of education or lack basic professional qualifications stipulated in the National policy on Education and the Teacher’s Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN).
- The capability to reflect on and evaluate themselves on the practice
- A working knowledge of valuable research into students learning and an appreciation of the significance of students being actively involved in their own aspect of learning.
- A knowledge of the topics/contents of their courses/subjects as required for the teaching profession.
- An appreciation of the value of developing positive relationships with students/learners on principles of equity.
- A tedious method to planning combined with the ability to make considered choices from a range of teaching techniques and resources
Structure of the Programme
- PDE – based courses: Recommended and approved courses by National minimum standards for professional diploma in education (PDE) of the Teacher Registration Council of Nigeria
- Teaching Practice (TP): Takes place for the full school term. It is the duty of the students to get/secure a teaching practice place and the school must be within Angel Crown College of Education metropolis. Students are advised to be present in their teaching practice education centres/schools throughout the week and carry out their teaching activities.
- Projects: Is a compulsory 4unit/credit course. Project topics are to be approved for students as soon as they report for the second semester of the programme. Project shall be in Education applied to the area of specialization.
- Practical: Micro Teaching Mentoring (model teaching, assessment, feedback reports etc). In education, ICT is not lagging at all, ICT tools can assist in every facet of learning whether close or distance. The introduction of e-learning and e-blackboard, problem of space and distance will be an illusion. Educators as well as learners will find teaching and learning so interesting in our PDE programme and also on campus.
- Entry Qualifications: Candidates who possess the following qualifications are eligible for admission into the programme.
- Degree – Bachelors, Master and Doctorate.
- Higher National Diploma (HND)
- Fees are affordable
Expected Learning Outcome
- Knowledge of a range of methods of instruction, with the ability to select between and use them in classroom settings, field and laboratories
- To be knowledgeable and appreciable to the discipline of education.
- To have ability and willingness to act as representing practitioner, analyzing and adopting critical insights in the teaching profession appropriately.
- To recognize the complexity nature of teacher’s role and of the functionality of schools in the society.
- A knowledge of broad topic, context of education as part of society as a whole